SQLExpress database file auto-creation error
When trying to attach a database file created in Vista, my WinXP gave the following error:
"…is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup"
This means that the file is compressed because when it was created (in Vista), the Vista disk is a compressed Disk. But when I transfer it to WinXP, the disk is not a compressed disk.
On the WinXP (Uncompressed disk),
1. Right-click on the .mdf file
2. In the Context Menu that appears, select Properties
3. In the Properties Dialog that appears, click on the Advanced button
4. In the Advanced Attributes Dialog that appears, uncheck the Compress Contents To Save Disk Space checkbox. Then click OK. See image
5. Repeat the same thing for the .ldf file.